"The Real Truth about Success" - the stuff successful people don't tell you

I've read tons of self-improvement books, and some I must say are just over-rated.  They may appear on the best-sellers' list and yes, they may have their fair share of ardent fans, but if they don't speak to me, they don't speak to me.

But this book is kinda different.

Firstly, it's written by a former professional stand-up comedian.  He  now runs a company selling motivation techniques for companies' employees.  So expect "stand up comedian" punchlines in his delivery of the book.

Secondly, it really does say things which many "success" books don't talk about. Like, how your family connections do have a lot to help in bringing you success (Think "Paris Hilton") and how the ones who end up as the bosses may not necessarily be the best in the trade (Think "Dilbert" Comics).

I like his highly pragmatic style and frankly, deep in my psyche, I knew that to be successful, passion alone is not enough.  But I always wonder whether I was just being negative.  Turns out that many people use "passion" indiscriminately as a buzzword but if you really really dig deeper, there is always something else.

These are some of the key take-aways from his book extracted from the last chapter  "The Lazy Reader" (Quick advice for people who'll pretend they've read the book).  I swear I did read the whole book but it's just hilarious to know an author can be this pragmatic to include such a chapter!

The "Real" Success Factors:

 1) "Instant Image Impact" - Using a personal advantage to position oneself as the "solution"even before proving that you have solved the problem before.

2) Clarity, not intelligence, is the biggest determinant of success. That's where the really smart people may lose out.  Like the author said,"Don't let your intelligence prevent you from making sense."

3) Clarity on a consistent basis will establish you as the preferred source, boosting your perceived value, i.e. clients will still come to you for help because you are trusted, not because you are the expert.

4) People rarely seek out or choose the "best" solution. Instead, they choose what makes them comfortable, whether it's the best or not.  Why is McDonald's so successful even though there are others who make better burgers?

5) Don't be shy to leverage on your existing network.  I find this particularly applicable. My first writing job was indeed through someone whom I know - my ex-colleague.  Subsequent jobs were also through a friend!

6) Be and own who you are.  One must be willing to get real about how they are viewed by others, and get past how we want others to see us.

7) If you think your boss is stupid, that person is smart enough to be your boss.

8) Knowledge is not power.  Implementation is power.